The Cold

Rerun from Frequent Rip Currents - I'm waiting for the plummer the second time this week!



"Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and wood, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary."

Henry David Thoreau

It's winter time in the northern hemisphere.

Even though I live in sunny SoCal winter sea temps are in the mid 50's and when you add the wind chill factor its a tad chilly,  for me.

You when you look at the conditions Ras, Gaz and Eric deal with on a regular basis I am the first to admit I have it easy and warm.

(oh and Ras, Gaz and Eric with be the name of my new band)

The point is, we all have a relationship with the cold.

What's yours?

Do you ignore it? Hide from it? Complain? Joke about it?

It doesn't seem to matter how cold. It's relative cold. If it was 20 degrees out I wouldn't leave the house. But in the same temperature RAS, Gaz and Eric would be skipping to the beach in shorts.

(OK maybe skipping is an over dramatization but you get the idea)

The point being that it is all in your head.

One of very few things you actually have some control of (exercising that control is another thing).

Think about that the next time you are in the parking lot putting on a damp full suit and wet smelly booties.

But I am still looking into a Patagonia wetsuit for next year.

PS I never go anywhere without my hood

Comments

Popular Posts