/*23 Breaths: I live in a world*/

Monday, March 12, 2012

I live in a world


I live in a world
 where the surf is always
 2-3 feet and from the south west

I live in a world
 where everyone drives a VW
 either a bug or a bus

I live in a world
 where all surfboards have the dimensions
 13" 19" 12" with the wide point is moved up one inch from center

I live in a world
 where the winds
 are always light and variable

I live in a world
 where gas is 23 cents a gallon
 and you get stamps with that

I live in a world
 where the enormous graphics on the front on my tee shirt
 are two little embroidered feet

I live in a world
 where when someone says that's sick
 you say, "Sorry, get well soon"

I live in a world
 where you can buy a shaped blank
 and glass it yourself

I live in a world
 where 4 friends can split a 2 bedroom for 100 bucks a month
 close to the beach

I live in a world
 where you had to get things done on Saturday
 because the stores are all closed on Sunday

I live in a world
 where TV has channels 2, 4, 5, 7 , 9, 11 and 13
 and after midnight those stations go off the air

I live in a world
 where I don't have a favorite video game
 which gives me dozens of hours to go outside and play

I live in a world
 where surfer are strong swimmers and can bodysurf
 because that's what you do when you lose your board

5 comments:

pranaglider said...

Parts of this obviously unfinished piece was bouncing around in my head when I woke up this morning. Sorry to inflict bad poetry on you all on a Monday after the bad time change but I didn't want to leave this roaming around my skull, too dangerous. I would be writing new pieces for days or weeks. Now I have more time to devote to important thoughts like why am I hungry for lunch when it is only 11 o'clock? Feel free to follow the form and add your own "I live in a world" pieces here in the comments.

Steve and Cher Pendo said...

Great post Prana thanks for your poetry. We enjoy the same world. Aloha and Cowa-flexit! Cher and Steve

Valerie Johnson said...

LOVE your poem and the world it describes! Wish I could go back and live there full time -I WOULD want to take along my 21st century mat and hulls, but I'd leave most of the other modern so-called "improvements" behind!

Val said...

I live in a world

where people look where they're going when they walk

open a door to let an approaching person walk through, regardless of that person's age or gender

and even smile and talk to strangers occasionally.

What a concept!

val (again, sorry!) said...

P.S. I live in a world where you can also find Post Fortified Oat Flakes at any supermarket! Whatever happened to THOSE?