Something Different

For some reason I feel like a long board.

I can't saw why,

I don't even like long boards

which is not to say that I don't think they have a place in my quiver

My first boards were “short boards” that were cut out of long boards

I currently own the following

9 0 Phil Edwards -3 stick
9 10 Mike Minchinton -1 stringer
9 4 Yater SurfTech -?
9 0 RA Wingnut – 4 stick

Plus three more boards in the 8 0 envelope although I wouldn't necessarily class them as long boards

I have surfed all of those boards enough to feel comfortable on them but then I moved on to other things.


Mat photos courtesy of Daily Bread

Mostly the mat

Which is a “quiver in a bag” ©

So much easier to haul around

so much better in the water!

(You may have noticed that I used the copyright symbol after the quote “quiver in a bag©” above. I don't want to give too much away but hopefully by early April I will once again be offering my own line of surf mats! The enthusiast feedback from those of you who purchased my custom mats last time have encouraged me to make a few more mats available!

Of course times have changed and although I have not set the price of the new mats I do expect the prices to exceed last years levels. The cost of materials has skyrocketed!)




But still I have keep having thoughts of maybe something shaped like this


Photo from Zamora Surfboards blog

Done in what is commonly known as a "big heavy long board" in the classical style

A big blank, maybe a little wood,

hand shaped,

glassed with volan

A sturdy board

Glassed in fin,

Functional, but not so functional that it works like a Greenough

But not a D fin either, no point in trying to make the board work bad

I want to ride it not use it as wall art

If you are familiar with this style of board you know they can be quite fun to ride at a point break

I am not that fond of nose riding,

it has its place

of course

it can be quite fun

but

it doesn't dominate the experience for me


But there are times when riding a long board is fun and I think about a getting one


Will I ?

heck no

not when I have a mat to ride!


Mat photos courtesy of Daily Bread

Comments

Anonymous said…
so I take it you are still on the cough syrup...
Anonymous said…
"But I still have keep"?Wow,you have a castle keep?!No wonder you don`t think about a longboard...
I want an oubliette for all Japanese drop-in Channel; Island potato crisp riding tools!
23 Breaths said…
sense, you think, makes it should!?!!?
Anonymous said…
Master Yoda,Japanese grammar ,have a perfect grasp of it,you have...
23 Breaths said…
I would like to blame it on the cough syrup but I write that way

Popular Posts