I like instruments

An actual friend who is also a "FaceBook Friend" is demanding to know my musical influences.

It's one of those chain letter things that goes around that I usually don't partake in but I find myself with ample time to reflect so here goes.

From 0 to 15 years of age I didn't have a stereo, but at some point I snuck into my older brother's room and played his records when he wasn't around. I was ten.


I remember Rubber Soul, Frank Zappa's Mother of Invention Freak Out! and maybe a Surfaris album. So that was the early stuff if you don't count the thousands of hours spent in front of a TV listening to commercial jingles. I still have fond memories of watching Saturday morning cartoons and hearing Elmer Fudd singing opera.

Somehow I was aware that the 60's had a lot of good music
and I was looking forward to great things during my coming of age in the 70's.
What did I get?
DISCO!
I'm still bitter.

When I got a car it came with an AM radio so no music there.

Still without a stereo or for that matter a job, I listened to whatever my friends were listening to, so I did manage to get a decent education in some of the better Rock bands.
What is called "classic Rock" now.
Lou Reed, Bowie, Hendrix.

I fortunately did have a great History of Jazz teacher in college. He introduced me to Miles, Coltrane and Monk.
A good start.

Now a days,
I listen to a wide variety of players
Pop, Jazz, Funk, Classical, Rock, Country and Western
these are just labels for the bins in the record shop ...
There is just music

Whatever I'm listening to
I try to listen more closely.
Pick out the bass and drums
Separate the right hand and the left hand on the piano
I like a good vocalist
but not the theatrics
strong lyrics would be great
good luck finding them.

I like instruments
played by people
who know a fine way
to treat a Steinway.

Comments

Popular Posts