Hand Planes


In addition to riding my mat  I pull out the hand plane when conditions call for it.

The waves were shoulder high, a little walled and some of the sets went on forever!

After having a go with the mat I thought the plane would be a good call.  I could catch a few more corners and dodge the sets.

This hand plane is a little larger than most


The advantage is I can sit on it when I get outside and it actually floats me with my head above water.

Surfing the large plane is a two handed affair (outside hand on the handle and inside hand monitoring the inside rail) and it keeps me in an extended body position which I find advantageous.

Everyone else was on standup hardboards (long, short and SUP) and I didn't envy them the chore of hauling their equipment and their carcass out thru the sets.

Sometimes it's just fun to surf with a little as possible and just have fun being in the water, playing with the waves.


Photo by Jason Hall - Daily Bread

So what is your alternative craft? Let me know in the comments section.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That there is what I call a cubit board. I believe it was RodndTube who coined the term after the Egyptian unit of measure, from elbow to finger tip. Those forums are closed now, but still fun to browse on occasion for inspiration.
And it looks like a pretty nice one too. I like that you can float on it.
I personally prefer the cubit to the smaller hand boards because I don't like strapping anything to my hands for fear of wrenching my shoulder (again) in a closeout. And the cubit is still small enough to push under any wave!
I'm surprised I don't see more of them at Wedge. I don't know, maybe they're out there and I'm out of the loop now that DalyBread moved to Maui.

Popular Posts