beginners mind

  I was talking about matting with a friend the other day.

He mentioned that mat riding was harder that it looked.
He is a master surfer with decades of experience in the water and has traveled extensively.
My advise was along the lines of letting go and rediscovering
a new way to surf.
My words, as words so often do, fell far short of the mark...
Let me explain...

Here is a pic of a couple of my mats.

My lawn doesn't look this good. Too many years of drought around here.

And these are some of the boards I was riding the most before I got a mat.



The materials, shapes, volumes, edges and fins are all completely different.

Why would anyone expect that you would ride these vehicles
in a similar fashion?

But I did anyway,
sort of
and it was was a source
of considerable frustration
until I gave up
trying to force a square peg
into a round hole.

No more
three waves to the beach
to maximize scoring potential.

No leaving the wave face entirely
only using the wave as a launch pad
in order to perform some
gymnastics in the air

Only eye ball to eyeball
nose to nose
belly to belly
time spent
with Mother Nature
just having a blast.

Shunryu Suzuki san famously said,
“In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities,
but in the expert's there are few”

In the end
I suggested that my friend
just give his young daughter the mat
and let her be his teacher.

I like to think that the Suzuki-san would be pleased with that advice 

Comments

Terry said…
So true :) I am waiting for my first mat to arrive by post. I first surfed a mat when I was about 7, 50+ years ago, and recall the powerlessness I felt as a massive foamy lifted me skywards and spun me, then as the sound of rushing water gave way to the wind whistling in my ears, I opened my eyes to see the great golden beach rushing towards me. I looked down, hands firmly clasped on the front handles of my little green mat and giggled in ecstacy. In the decades since there was always pressure to get real and ride a board, which I gave in to and enjoyed. But I no longer bow to others and look forward to rekindling that aimple, total buzz I captured as a simple kid. Bless.

Popular Posts