They sat ruined

in the backyard for weeks

covered in mud
the result of my son’s nocturnal roaming
thru the back bay

It was uneconomical 
a good pair of regulation
size 10 Vans
going to waste

I had worn out
many pairs
over the years

The blue suede ones
in high school
part of the uniform 
the red ones were that
I wore at the Cannery restaurant
my senior summer

I couldn’t let
them go to waste
it would be sacrilege 

First I soaked them
in a bucket
for days

but

they would never be
snow white again
although the laces came out nicely

I am a sloppy
coffee drinker
and I know
it stains
stains good

so
DIY
I used a half pound
of the weird espresso
to stain them
a nice
mocha

after a week in the bucket
no change!

They were
the shoes
that wouldn’t
DYE !!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Halloween
May whatever is left in the candy bowl
be something you like

Comments

Popular Posts