Paradise Lost


Lots of interesting stuff on the net these days

Jason's Daily Bread has video of the Fall ComboOpener around here
Surfmatters has a nice piece on the First Rincon Mat Session of the Year

I have had a succession of drizzly morning drives out to Irvine on the 405 freeway.

Don't get me wrong,
I AM STOKED to have a job again.
The people I work with are great
It's a good company whose mission statement,
"To promote health and happiness through the enjoyment of nature and the world around us"
is a whole lot better than the "Anything for Money" that I usually see.

But there is no doubt having the weekday mornings to surf was a plus.
My "chop wood carry water" life has changed to "drive freeway pay bills".
I am OK with that because that's just how it is.

The new job has taught me a lot of interesting things,
the description, attributed to Craig Stecyk III, that "mat surfing is the fly fishing of surfing" doesn't begin to take into the account the cost of all the paraphernalia.

You can spend more on a good fishing rod that the total cost of a handmade mat, a new wet suit and fins.

(But you would have a nice rod!)

And don't even ask what a min range bike, pedals, shoes, helmet and miscellaneous Lycra / Spandex will run.

Mat surfing isn't "the fly fishing of surfing" but it may be the poor man's road to enlightenment.

I just can't wait to get back into the water.

 

Rocky and Bullwinkle creator and animation artist Alexander Anderson Jr has died at the age of 90.
I have spent a good portion of my life watching Rocky, Bullwinkle and friends so a belated thank you to Mr. Anderson.

Comments

Popular Posts